Monday, April 09, 2007

Another Quickie

Wow, I have to say this has probably been one of, if not the, best week I've had in Peace Corps. It makes me a little bit sad to note that none of it was spent in my village. But between the Kirtachi trip and spending Easter in Gotheye I have not had a more rewarding, challenging, or restful experience here. Kirtachi was great because it was a challenge that I actually enjoyed, instead of a challenge that just pissed me off. Gotheye was great because it felt like the first real "weekend" I've had in ages.

As a PCV, I am more or less on the job 24/7. Even when I'm at a bar in Niamey, for example, I don't stop being a PCV. I still get into random discussions with random Nigeriens about Niger, or America, or whatever. I could plan to go out for a nice meal and end up teaching someone about AIDS. You just can't turn that shit off. So it was very nice to spend Easter weekend with all of my closest friends in country, and actually not have to be a PCV for a while. We basically sat around the hostel, with just enough clothes to be decent (by American standards), and didn't leave for the entire day of Easter. The only Zarma I had to speak was to the guardian. In addition to being a good refresher to reawaken me to what all I do do here, aside from projects that require funding, I also felt more connected to some of my fellow pcv's than I had in a good long while.

Suffice it to say, it has been a good week and I am in a very happy place as I return to my village. Also, I have uploaded some pics to my photo albums from Easter. Not many, but their fun. You can find them in the PC Niger Album. I've also gone through an added captions to all the pictures I uploaded last week of both the trip to Kirtachi and My Village. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your pictures. Keep em coming! Jimmie's Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home