Wednesday, March 21, 2007

La La Lala

I finally get to head back to post tomorrow. I've been here in Niamey for longer than I really care for. I had been hoping to make a short stint in the village before swear in, but there was just too much to get done before the barbeque and GAD and whatnot.

Speaking of which. The BBQ went quite well I think. This year we decided to have an alternate GAD auction at the BBQ with all the less culturally appropriate items or services that really only PCV's would bid on. We had also planned to include the talent portion of GAD in this, narrowing the real GAD down to just three acts, one of which was me and Kurt! I think this turned out to be a little overambitious. Most people either didn't pay any attention, or started getting restless and demanding we turn the music back on. So much for that plan. Aside from a couple altercations, once we gave up on the auction and entertainment and resumed bad rap booty music, the masses were appeased and it was good.

Incidentally, GAD raised over 2,000,000 FCFA this time 'round. That's a lot of broke PCV's.

I kept trying to leave this week, instead of waiting for Danielle's installation car today, but things just kept coming up. Monday dentist appointment (turns out my teeth are basically dissolving in my mouth...and not slowly. Atleast my gums are good) Tuesday I was supposed to go out to Kirtachi and find this young girl scholar that used to be our cluster's responsibility, but rather than bush taxi out and maybe spend the night, we rearranged our shuttles so we can take a bureau car. Wednesday was hostel work. And now it's today. But now I get to go home! God is big!

All this week, new volunteers are getting installed. They all seem very chipper and excited to get to post. They seem like a very good group and I am happy to welcome them into the Peace Corps family.

Looks like this'll be a short post as I can't seem to think of anything else to say at the moment. There's a new podcast on Djimi's blog featuring me and one of the new volunteers so go check it out. Kala tonton

1 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, April 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Seabass. It's Jessy. I haven't forgotten about you and Kurt. I heard about the auction and I have a collection of bottles coming your way soon. Gunner and I are going to a distillery tomorrow, so we'll see what we can pick up from Maker's Mark. I still want to know if it would be better to send this to Dosso (where Liza will open it and explain that it is "medicine") or to Niamey (where the post office will open it before Issaka can get to the package). Either way will be fine, just more controlled by PCVs if Dosso. I hope you are doing well. Email me if you get a chance: jessy@vireo.net.

Later.
Jessy Wilt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home