Thursday, February 01, 2007

This one's for the PCV's

So now that I actually see and read people's comments on my blog, I've noticed something that I hadn't thought of before. I orginally thought this blog would be a great way to keep my friends and family back home up to date on my activities. But a several comments have also shown me that in reading about my experiences, other PCV's in both this country and others have found another fellow's experience to help them through their own. So this blog post is mostly directed at them.

Comraderie is one of the biggest support mechanisms we have here in Peace Corps. I went back and read my post on Western Guilt from September, which has received a few comments from fellow PCV's, as well as other posts on homesickness. And really what gets me through all of it at the end of the day is my fellow PCV's. I really cannot encourage strongly enough that volunteers seek eachother out and help eachother through the rough times.

I also want to point out to those who have read my earlier posts that it really does get easier. Around six months I was very very close to ETing. But, through the good council of my amazing PCMO and the company of my friends, I'm still here. And now, one year into my service, ETing is one of the furthest things from my mind. At this point I am amazed at how normal it seems to be living in Africa and doing what I'm doing.

One of the biggest frustrations I faced around the 6 month mark was the lack of real work. I've found that before too long, work just starts to happen. I know that I've been really lucky in having a village with a ton of Kokari (effort). Even still, I don't really remember when or how, but suddenly I just started working on a grain bank because it just seemed like the thing to do. Now I've taken on responsibilities as hostel manager as well, and am planning my next project already, and there seems no end to the work. All I can say is have patience.

When it seems hard, do what you have to do to stay sane. That's the most important thing. Bureau policies on travel be damned, your personal health is more important. If you need to visit another PCV, do so. If you just need to hear a familiar voice either by phone or email, make it happen. Try not to make these a crutch, but don't be afraid to use your resources either.

Also, don't forget that Peace Corps volunteers are one of the most courageous, awesome, and badass bunches of people out there. Regardless of how long you stay, just having the courage to do something like this, to leap headlong out of your personal comfort zone and into something completely unknown, makes you a remarkable person. I think it is impossible to spend any amount of time doing this and not grow as a person.

If just by being here and doing this helps even one fellow PCV stick it out or make it through a rough spot, this entire blog will have been more than worth the effort.


----Edit-----

Incidentally it's worth pointing out that whenever I receive comments or emails from PCV's who are encouraged (or not) by something I say here it has the same effect on me. Hearing other PCV's relate to my experiences helps me get through my own rough spots (of which there are still many). So I just want to say thank you to all those who do comment/email.

1 Comments:

At 5:35 AM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Brian Herbert said...

I believe that without our support network, being a PCV would be almost impossible! I'm going to be watching the Super Bowl Sunday night (at 2AM, agh!) with fellow PCVs and I'm already feeling like I'm with friends back home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home