Thursday, February 21, 2008

"We came together, but we will leave here one by one."

Kurt is gone. He left Sunday night. We gave him an awesome send off (it involved Tenacious D, Particle, and Dragonforce!). I've seen other people leave. I remember last year saying good bye to our sister stage and realizing that most of the people I would be meeting over the next year would have no idea who these people were. Now it's our turn, and it's sadder than I ever imagined.

It could be that with Kurt I've lost my best friend in country, but I really feel like we're at the end now. When we were leaving stage to go to post after swear in, it was me, Alex, Alison, Djimi, Kurt, and Cathy in the car together. Someone (I think it might have been Alex) said something along the lines of "And so ends that chapter." At the time it felt really appropriate. I imagined our car drving away from the training site as being the last shot at the end of an episode of the tv show of our lives or something. You know, really cheesy bullshit like that. But it felt impressive.

If my life consisted of a series of books, I feel like I'm in the last chapter before it's time for the next book. All that's left is to wrap up my work, introduce my replacement in my village, and then there's my travels to get back home. Okay, there might be some other recent developments too. My point is, one of the things that is really scary right now is that I don't really have any inkling of what lies beyond that next title page. There's lots of little plot threads, but none of them show any indication of where they are going. Not to mention the major setting change! This has been my favorite book so far (I see my life as having been 4 books up till), what if the next one totally blows.

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, February 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, what are all the four books of?

I share your feeling of knowing the end of an era is coming and now what to do next. I know graduating college isn't quite as intense as coming back from what you've been doing, but I can still relate somewhat.

-Robin

 
At 7:38 PM, February 26, 2008, Blogger lecroix said...

No worries bro, youll be fine. Of course you will have the "niger hangover" when you get home. Use that to your advantage! If you come to New Zealand then hit me up! Also, be careful on how you spend your readjustment allowance!

Cheers,

Croix

 
At 10:28 PM, February 27, 2008, Blogger Kerry said...

Seabass, thank you for your blog. I am a total stranger to you, but have been reading this blog & looking at your pics to get an idea of your PC experience. My daughter Jessica is a trainee in Niger right now, and I was a PCV with my husband in Afghanistan long ago. You have done well, and I hope that your future unfolds for you in the very best way possible. Peace. KB

 
At 10:32 PM, February 27, 2008, Blogger Kerry said...

Seabass, Thanks for your blog! I have been reading it with interest for 2 months, since my daughter Jessica became a trainee in Niger. My husband & I were PCVs in Afghanistan long ago. I hope that the next book in your life is very good. You have done well; you deserve a break, and may your next step be towards something you really want to do.
KB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home