Sunday, February 03, 2008

Back in Niger

I have returned to Niger to find it a different place. Or rather it is the same, but I can't see it the way I used to. I have no motivation desire to spend time in my village, as it seems like that is just waiting around to say goodbye. I hate dragged out good byes. On the other hand I don't really enjoy Niamey as the hostel is full of new volunteers whom I don't really know, nor do I have much incentive to get to know them. I also have a distinct lack of my own private space that is very frustrating. That was the nice thing about Dakar, I had my own room. I was not always forced to be social. I guess it feels like I'm not really in Niger anymore, but I am also not yet in America beginning the transition back there.

News as regards my teeth: I now have a shiny new crown where I once had a horribly twisted tooth. It's very nice and my lips have finally gotten used to feeling it there (they had gotten used to the gap that was there while the crown was being made). Apparently the bone in my jaw that was eaten away by the infection will heal itself, much like a broken arm. I've noticed a little bit of pain in that part of my gums when I smile a lot or if i poke at it, but I attribute that to the healing as no one seems to be concerned.

I also just want to say that Dakar was awesome. Brittany joined me for my second week and we had a wonderful time together. It was very nice to have another Niger volunteer to share the experience with and I'm glad it was her. I think we both have plans to find a way to get back there someday. If for no other reason than all the wonderful art that we want to buy.

But that's over now and so I find myself just sort of biding my time until I leave, which i do with mixed feelings. I head out to my post in a few minutes, where I'll be preparing stuff for the current stage's tech trip next week. I'm kind of annoyed at how little my boss has done to help me plan this but that's really just become par for the course. Atleast once this is done I'll be done with projects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home