Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Word Arrives from the East

Hello everyone!

Mate ni go? That means “how are you doing” in Zarma. I honestly don’t even know where to begin. This is easily the most exciting, awesome, and surreal thing I have ever done!


I’ll start with my impression of Niger. Hot and Sandy. Lots of sand. It gets pretty cool at night (maybe 60ish) so I can survive. The landscape is very red with pale green shrubs & trees dotting it. Livestock roams all over the towns: goats, donkeys, chickens, guinea fowl, etc. Goats mostly roam just outside of town. Did not see much of Niamey except on the bus ride out to ********, the town where the training center is.


The people here are amazing. Despite being in the poorest country in the world, they are always laughing. The ******** are very helpful and all speak a little English if not a great deal, and also French, in addition to either Zarma or Hausa. They are all very willing and eager to help with anything. The entire staff on site is great.


Yesterday we moved in with our host families. My adoptive father is -------, and he named me -------- (who I am sharing a hut with) -------. So yeah, I have a hut-mate from my training group. I cannot tell you how amazing this experience is! After a day of classes, &&&&& and I return to our family's village (just outside the town of *********) to eat dinner. kkkkkk and his children then spend the night teaching us Zarma until we say “Ay farga” or “I’m tired”. This is the most amazing way to learn about a culture. Absolutely terrifying but amazing. Everytime I get a phrase right and hear them exclaim “A bori” it feels great.


I can see how this is the most challenging part of PC. After classes we have 2 hrs free time at the site. We all spent that time building the courage to return and face our family. It’s terrifying, until I start talking to them. Then I feel no fear, just [sic] excitement.


Also, the stars here are gorgeous, even in town. I can’t wait to see them in the bush. We landed on Friday the 13th on a full moon. Good thing Friday 13th means nothing in Islam. Even so, the full moon is really bright, so the stars seem much less brilliant by comparison. I really love it here and have no doubt in my mind that this was the right decision.


I just took my first bucket bath, by moonlight. It was very interesting. I think I can get used to it. The cockroaches are friendly at least and I feel surprisingly clean. I haven’t gotten sick yet either. Two people have gotten sick and gone to Niamey. One came back today. I hope noone from my state ends up going home, they’re all really cool people.


Anyway, I think that’s all for now. Call to prayer starts at 5am and ay farga. Halla a ton ton.


Love,


Seabass



P.S. send photos!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home